This Cheesy Baked Pumpkin Pasta is baked with a quick pumpkin sauce made with bacon, shallots, Pecorino cheese and melted mozzarella cheese.
Transform a can of pure pumpkin purée into a luscious, creamy pumpkin pasta sauce for a delicious fall comfort dish. This baked pumpkin pasta is cheesy and delicious, my husband loved how it turned out! Another pumpkin pasta dish I love is Pumpkin Mac n Cheese Recipe. See more pumpkin recipes here!
I’m really excited to share this pasta dish. I finally found a brand of whole wheat pasta that me and my family actually like. Even my husband couldn’t believe it was whole wheat and thought they had to be lying. The brand is Delallo, and I honestly can’t say enough good things about them.
- I wanted to make this quick so I opted for canned pumpkin. But you can make your own homemade pumpkin puree which in my opinion always tastes best!
- You could also use butternut squash in place of canned pumpkin if you wish.
- If you’re eating gluten free, swap the whole wheat pasta for gluten-free pasta.
How to Make Pumpkin Pasta Sauce:
Canned pumpkin really has no taste so I added flavor by sauteeing some bacon and shallots. Then, I added a little fresh rosemary and Pecorino Romano to mimick a pumpkin pasta gnocchi dish I love ordering out, then thinned it out with some chicken broth. My husband just happened to walk in the door when it was ready, and I love getting his opinion because he’s brutally honest – and he loved it and even went back for seconds.
This can be prepared up to a day in advance and stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
More Canned Pumpkin Recipes You Will Love
- Creamy Pumpkin Polenta
- Pumpkin Chili
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with Roasted Veggies
- Baked Pumpkin Pasta with Pancetta, Gruyere, Kale, and White Beans
- Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Baked Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
- 8 oz Delallo uncooked whole wheat pasta, use gluten-free pasta
- 2 slices center cut bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 15 oz homemade pumpkin puree , or canned pumpkin
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella, I recommend: Polly-O
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×9-inch baking pan with oil spray. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat add chopped bacon and sauté until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add chopped shallot and cook 1 minute.
- Add pumpkin, chicken broth, rosemary and 3 tbsp Pecorino Romano, stir and add salt and pepper to taste; simmer about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions for al dente. Drain and add the pasta to the pumpkin sauce and mix well.
- Transfer to the baking dish and spread evenly. Top with the remaining shredded Pecorino Romano and mozzarella.
- Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned.
- Let it cool 5 minutes, then divide into 4 equal portions.