This quick and easy Sushi-inspired Spicy Canned Salmon Rice Bowl makes an easy high protein, budget-friendly, 5-minute lunch, great for meal prep!
Spicy Canned Salmon Rice Bowl
This easy Salmon Rice Bowl is fast and easy, made with just a few ingredients! Salmon salad using canned salmon is the star of the dish served over brown rice (I love frozen brown rice from Trader Joes) with diced cucumbers, sriracha, scallions, and furikake or nori. I am always trying to share new, quick lunch ideas that don’t take too much time to make. Earlier this week I posted an avocado quinoa salad as a vegetarian lunch option. Like tuna, canned salmon is a great pantry staple for protein, and it’s budget-friendly. More canned salmon recipes you may like are these Waffled Salmon Cakes, or swap the tuna for salmon in this Mayo-Less Tuna Pasta Salad.
Salmon Rice Bowl Ingredients
Here are the ingredients for the salmon salad:
- Salmon: I use canned wild salmon in water because it’s so convenient. If you prefer making your own or using leftover salmon, that works too.
- Sauce: Light mayo and sriracha with a pinch of salt combine for a creamy, spicy sauce.
- Scallions: Mix the whites of the scallions in with the salmon.
Below is everything in the rice bowl:
- Brown Rice: To speed up this recipe, I use Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice, so the whole dish comes together in five minutes. It’s such a great timesaver! You can also make your own rice or use leftover.
- Cucumber: I like the crunch from the Persian cucumbers and you don’t need to peel them because the skin is thin, so it’s even quicker to prep! If you want more veggies, carrots, bell peppers, and avocado would also be good.
- Scallions: Top the salad with the greens of the scallions.
- Furikake or Nori: Sprinkle nori or furikake over the rice bowl. Nori is dried seaweed that you can crumble over the salad. Furikake is a Japanese seasoning consisting of “sesame seeds, seaweeds, herbs, fish flakes, and salt.” You can buy it on Amazon if it’s unavailable at your local supermarket.
How to Meal Prep Salmon Salad Rice Bowl
This healthy salmon rice bowl is really easy to make. There’s very little prep if you use canned salmon and frozen rice since the scallions and cucumber are the only veggies to chop. You can double or quadruple the recipe for meal prep if you want leftovers for lunches, which will hold in the fridge for up to 4 days.
DAY 1 of High Protein Lunch Series! This is an easy, budget friendly 5 minute #lunch for 1 (or double for meal prep) See link for full recipe! 25 grams protein per bowl! #easyrecipes #skinnytaste #highproteinlunch
More Quick Lunch Recipes You Will Love:
- Tuna Egg Salad
- Warm Salad with Artichoke Hearts, Roasted Peppers, Mozzarella
- Hearts of Palm Noodle Peanut Stir Fry
- Salmon Sushi Pizza
- Turkey Club
Spicy Canned Salmon Salad Rice Bowl
- 1 5-ounce can skinless wild pink or red salmon, in water drained
- 1 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce, plus more for topping
- 2 scallions, white and greens separated
- Pinch kosher salt
- 3/4 cup cooked brown rice, heated
- ½ cup chopped cucumber, I use Persian cucumbers
- Furikake or chopped nori and sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the salmon, mayonnaise, sriracha, scallion whites and pinch of salt and mix well.
- In the bowl you plan to serve in, add the rice.
- Top it with the salmon salad, chopped cucumber, furikake and scallion greens plus more sriracha if desired.